Whaling – Politics, Science & Ethics
Our guest in the Science Forum is marine biologist Stephen Palumbi of Stanford University. He uses genetics to study whale populations.
The International Whaling Commission is considering legalizing commercial whaling by some countries, but at a very limited scale. Palumbi says that the current proposal would fail to protect endangered whale species.
Continue Reading ...
- Do you think all whaling should be banned? Why?
- What role can lay citizens play in conserving whales?
- How can modern genetic techniques be used to crack down on whale smuggling?
- Read a study by Stephen Palumbi about the antarctic minke whale. A lay summary of that study is here.
- A Must-See: The BBC’s humpback whale page. Includes video excerpts from documentaries.
- The International Whaling Commission.
- Watch this video (below) for the latest about the antarctic minke whale population. (Credit: Garthwait & Griffin Films)